Mr. Raskin graduated New York Law School in 1972 as Editor-In-Chief of the legal publication Equitas. He began his legal career in 1972 as an Assistant District Attorney in the office of then District Attorney Burton B. Roberts. Before opening his private practice in 1977, Marvin had attained the position of Senior Trial Assistant in the Narcotics Bureau. Since 1977, Marvin has been an active trial practitioner in New York City and the surrounding counties.
Marvin has been a pre-eminent member of the Bronx County Bar Association for more than 35 years, and was elected president in 1994. Since 1996, Marvin has been Chairman of the Criminal Courts Committee of the Bronx County Bar Association.
On numerous occasions, Marvin has been appointed Special Prosecutor in Bronx County. In this capacity, he served as an Independent District Attorney by appointment of Administrative Judge in order to prosecute cases that would otherwise conflict with the elected District Attorney's duties.
Marvin has been an Adjunct Assistant Professor at the Herbert H. Lehman College of the City University of New York and is a regular faculty member in the Continuing Legal Education programs administered by the Appellate Division, First Department and the Bronx County Bar Association. He lectures on the topics of Criminal Law and Procedure and Legal Ethics.
Among Marvin’s professional awards is the New York County Lawyers Pro Bono Award for free legal services rendered to the Courts and the Public, and the Extraordinary Service Award by the Criminal Courts Bar Association of Bronx County.
|2014-Present||Appointed by Mayor Bill de Blasio to the City of New York Mayor’s Advisory Committee on the Judiciary|
|1997-Present||Vice-Chair, Central Screening Committee, Appellate Division First Department, Assigned Counsel Plan|
|1996-Present||Chair/Co-Chair — Criminal Courts Committee, Bronx County Bar Association|
- In November 2015, Marvin was appointed by District Attorney Elect Darcel Clark to her transition team in order to assist in a seamless changeover to her new administration in Bronx County.
- In October 2015, Marvin was honored by the New York Law Journal as a “Lawyer Who Leads by Example” for his public service and dedication to the profession. He is the only sole practitioner and Bronx Attorney to receive this award.
- Marvin has been appointed by two consecutive mayors and has served as a member on the Mayor’s Advisory Committee on the Judiciary. The purpose of this Committee is to screen and recommend highly qualified judicial candidates for appointment to the New York City Criminal, Family and Civil Court.
- In 2013, Marvin was honored with the Bronx County Bar Association Award for Service to the Legal Community.
Past Bar Association and Committee Offices Held
|1987-1993||Chairman Criminal Courts Committee, Bronx County Bar Association|
|1993-1994||President, Bronx County Bar Association|
|1994-1995||Chairperson, Board of Directors, Bronx County Bar Association|
|1994-1997||Chair, Central Screening Committee, Appellate Division First Department, Assigned Counsel Plan|
|1999-2001||Vice Chair Joint Committee on Fee Disputes and Conciliation
Serving the Association of the Bar, Bronx Bar and New York County Lawyers Association
|2007- 2012||Appointed to Independent Judicial Election Qualification Commission for the 12th Judicial District.|
|2008-2013||Appointed by Mayor Michael Bloomberg to the City of New York Mayor’s Advisory Committee on the Judiciary|
Current Bar Association Memberships
- Bronx County Bar Association
- Black Bar Association of Bronx County
- New York Criminal Bar Association
- Westchester County Bar Association
- Yorktown Bar Association